Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Climbing Against Cancer


Dad, Dick Thompson, and Grandma Grace
Well I'm challenging my limits again...I signed up for the Scott Firefighter Stairclimb, March 11, 2012. The Stairclimb is a timed event that takes place in Seattle, Washington at the Columbia Center, and involves climbing 788 feet, 69 flights of stairs, 1,311 steps in full fire gear and SCBA. I know I can do it, it's just a lot of work!

The Stairclimb is not just another event for me, it is a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to raise money for research and support of patients and their families battling blood cancers. As I posted in January (Why I'm Vegan), blood cancer has touched and changed my life, as both my father and grandmother died from hematological malignancies.

Eric with Dad's picture on front of his helmet
My cousin, Eric Adman, a Firefighter Paramedic with Shoreline (WA) Fire outside of Seattle, did the Stairclimb in 2008, in a smokin' fast 18 minutes!!!, in honor of my dad who had just passed away from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I have always had such respect for Eric for doing that for my dad, and hoped to do the Stairclimb someday as well, as a thank you to Eric and as a memorial to Dad and Grandma Grace.

Please visit my personal page at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to learn more. I am hoping to raise at least $1,000 to donate to the LLS in memory of Dad and Grandma. All donations are tax-deductible and so appreciated. http://www.llswa.org/site/TR?px=1513573&fr_id=1220&pg=personal






Winter Wonderland
I did a new event last weekend, the Winter Wonderland 10K held at Portland International Raceway. It was so fantastic and will now be an annual holiday event for me (and hopefully some more friends and family too!). The run takes place at night on the racetrack which has been decorated with lighted displays for the holiday season. You have a choice of a 2, 4, or 6 mile (10K) walk/run which is the equivalent to 1, 2, or 3 laps around the track. I dressed up in my Ms. Santa Claus costume for the occasion! I don't have pictures of the displays since I was running, but here is a link for them from the Winter Wonderland website: http://www.globaleventsgrouppdx.com/wonderland/displays.html.

I am actually impressed with my time, I averaged a 9:40/mile, which is very fast for me, considering I couldn't see the pavement at all so was running a little guarded. I missed the water station at the end of the first lap, because, like a total ham, I was busy waving to my friends Chris and DeAnna who came to cheer me on and posed for pictures while running past. But I grabbed water after mile 4, which I needed as my costume was getting hot!

The Holiday Half Marathon is in two weeks, hopefully the weather will be as terrific as it was for Winter Wonderland. Haven't decided whether or not I'm wearing the Ms. Santa Claus costume or not...I probably will, who am I kidding!

So stay tuned for more reports as my Half Ironman training continues. Oh! I signed up for the Portland Triathlon Club Race Team...I'll have a blog soon all about that.

Thanks, as always, for your support and encouragement. And thank you for any donation you can make to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in honor of my Dad and Grandmother for my upcoming stairclimb--it is much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment